Serving the Twin Cities southern metro area since 1953, for all your home heating, cooling and environmental needs!
Monthly Archives: October 2012
October 18, 2012Posted by on
Gopher Heating had the good fortune of taking part in Lennox’s Heat Up Minnesota program this October, a campaign which gave 100 deserving Minnesotan families brand new high efficiency furnaces. Submissions were collected via heatupminnesota.org, and responders were asked to share a story of someone they knew who was in need of heating for their home. The submissions were then reviewed by a panel of heating and cooling dealers and Lennox staff. Candidates were chosen based on need and feasibility.
The Gopher Heating team was thrilled to be a part of Heat Up Minnesota, and on October 6, they helped out Judith Jones of Le Sueur, MN by installing a new high efficiency furnace in her home. Gopher Heating’s technicians donated their time, tools, and hard work to make sure Ms. Jones has a nice warm house for the upcoming cold season and many more to come.
October 11, 2012Posted by on
Here is the article from WCCO’s website:
“MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — Heating costs hit record lows because of last year’s mild winter, but predictions of a “normal” season this year could mean a big increase.
Minnesota’s Energy Department estimates a rise in heating bills: 20 percent for houses using oil, 15 percent for natural gas customers, 13 percent for propane and 5 percent for electricity.
The price of natural gas is only predicted to rise less than a percent over last year, but the experts at Gopher Heating and Air Conditioning say anything can happen.
“We’re on the low end now, but they do fluctuate, so who knows,” said owner Dennis O’Brien.
O’Brien says saving starts with a good furnace tune up for peak performance.
“If you have a 95 percent efficient furnace, but it’s not working up to its potential you’re wasting money,” said O’Brien.
O’Brien also says make sure your home’s “envelope” is well sealed. That means good insulation — especially in the attic — and tight seals around doors and windows.
Then there’s the thermostat. A programmable model could save you 20 percent in heating costs.
When it comes down to it, natural gas and propane costs aren’t really going to be the issue — the cold weather is. So, taking those steps is your best bet.
As for people using heating oil, global demand for crude oil and instability in the middle east could send prices to record highs.”
October 3, 2012Posted by on
Blog by: Dennis O’Brien, President of Gopher Heating
Now that we are officially experiencing the autumn season, it’s time to prepare for all that autumn and even the upcoming winter seasons bring. We’ve put together a fall to-do list to keep you on track and ensure all your HVAC systems are running properly.
- Replace air filters. Get rid of your dirty summer filters, and replace them with clean, fresh filters. This will dramatically improve the air quality in your home. Remember, each HVAC system has different changing requirements, so follow all instructions carefully.
- Get the fireplace ready. Clean out any dirt, dust, and ashes so you can stoke up a hearty fire during the cold seasons. Make sure your chimney is clean and in working shape, and prepare to warm the house with an excellent source of natural heat. Don’t forget to chop the firewood!
- Check out your HVAC system. Make sure all gas pipes are connected and unbroken, take a look at the control box and wiring, lubricate the motor and peek at and replace fan belt if needed. Look over your entire system – if anything looks funny or odd, give Gopher Heating a call for a proper inspection. Leave any fixing to a professional.
- Think about insulation. Is your home drafty in the colder months? Are your attic and basement leaking cool air in to your home? Consider adding extra insulation to keep heat in and cool air out.
- Call Gopher Heating. The most important step you can take to ensure your home is warm and toasty all fall and winter long is to schedule a routine maintenance appointment. Our trained technicians will make sure your HVAC system is in proper working condition – no hidden charges, no phony fixes, no price gauging. You can trust Gopher Heating. Give us a call today at: 952-890-3466 (Twin Cities) or 507-665-3300 (Le Sueur area).